Saturday, October 25, 2008

Week 9 Prompt 1

An interesting topic for an individual paper would be on Shinto religion and how it affected Japan’s culture. This topic interests me because I haven’t done any research on a religion before and this one is part of my heritage. Being part Japanese I think it’s good to know what kind of religion your ancestors could have been. Not to mention I read how it influenced how Japan’s culture turned out today. Shinto’s influence in Japan’s culture is really amazing when you look at it. For example in sumo, a priest always blesses the ring with salt or rice before each match. This is done because of the Shinto customs that believe in pure things.
One thing that my make this an unsuitable topic is the fact that I have no background of religion. I don’t know anything about it and that might mean I would have to do more research into religion in general. But then again this could be a good thing, starting off with a clean slate. Because I have no religious background I would be unbiased in my writing on Shinto religion. Which would make a better paper considering my thesis statement, on how Shinto religion influenced Japan.

No comments: